Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas is almost here, 2016 is winding down

The rebuilding of Gloria and Scott's home, destroyed in the Tornado of Dec 26, 2015 is almost completed.  It will be hard this Christmas to top the excitement of our last Christmas together. We are not trying to top it, by the way, and we hope we don't go through that type experience again.  However, the tornado helped us to re-evaluate things and assess priorities as to those things that are important.  Our family, who are the greatest and most important, will get together at our home this year.  All four of our children and spouses [of the three that are married] and our 12 grand [very grand] children will all be together in our home that we purchased in Bethany Okla.

This year my "honey" time with my sweetheart of 46 years is spent largely going to the doctor's office, followed by a trip to Braum's.  For those of you not from around here Braum's is an ice cream store.  Their dairy and plant is in a small town of Tuttle, Oklahoma.  Their ice cream is delicious, their milk is really fresh, and the best part for us is that with Nancy's low sodium [salt] diet is they will cook their hamburger after ordering with no added seasoning.

Retirement:
Sunday School Class Dinner (Photo compliments of Arlita Harris, SS Teacher)

Our Church's - Western Oaks - Chile Cook off (photo compliments of  Lydia Diaz Marzouk, NMI Pres.) 
I love going to a church with a multi-racial, multi-cultural, and multi generational congregation.  I love having a colorful church as it reminds me more of what Heaven will be like.

We officially retired 31 October and have been busy getting ready for Christmas.  As we approached retirement we wanted to be involved in ministry, possibly with children or youth.  The last year and half in the Philippines really brought out our passion to help the young people.  We are excited to see what God has in store for us.  We look with anticipation toward the future.  At first it felt a lot like unemployment.   I may have to one day find a real "paying" job.  I'm not adverse to work, in fact I've been called a workaholic before, but from my perspective my entire life I have not worked much, since I have always enjoyed what I have done.  If you are doing something you love it is a hobby but if one earn money on his hobby, what a deal.   "Good Deal", for those who know me and have pointed out that I say that a lot.

Family Update:
Our Grandkids are growing up.  For the older ones, if I'm going to connect with them I have to do it quickly.  Zach is a Junior in Southern Nazarene University and he is the youth minister at Williams Church of the Nazarene near the campus.  He served his freshman and Sophomore years as intern at this church.  They hired him and provided him a home by the church.  I guess he impressed them as their intern.  Gloria is homeschooling the other two boys.  Geoffrey, Gloria's second born, was able to travel with Grandpa to the Pacific Northwest as we toured in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.  I believe this makes the 4th or 5th consecutive home assignment that we have toured the Northwest District, but the first time without my wife.

Our Granddaughter Justus, Greg and Wendy's eldest traveled with Nancy and I to Southern California.  This was not a busy tour, as far as church services go, but it was an awesome time visiting with and connecting with family.  I have cousins that live in the Glendora area.  Justus is quite an artist and loves to draw.  I have a cousin that writes children's books and she was so impressed with Justus' drawing that she has been in correspondence with her to illustrate her books.

Ransom with Grandma and Grandpa
Ransom, Greg and Wendy's second born, was able to travel with Grandma and Grandpa on a tour that took us to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, before our final assignment in Pittsburg.
(Photo to right - Courtesy of Tami Jaynes when we visited her church in Coshocton, Ohio)


Then Felicity, Geoff and Churie's second born, toured with us as we toured Georgia District.

Our Grandchildren provided excellent service to us.  More than just providing company, they assisted Grandma with her oxygen, wheel chair, and other needs.  Also this provided some time alone with these to really connect.  It was truly valuable time.

Our grandchildren are involved in Bible Quizzing and are doing quite well.  Zach our eldest is now a Teen Bible Quiz Coach.  Justus, Ransom, Geoffrey, Raina, Joshua, and Addie are all in the teen quizzing and Felicity, Tessa, and Elisha are involved in the children's quizzing.

Our children are all active in their local church.  Gloria and Scott and family are members of Richardson, TX, where Gloria works with the children and youth, and also is busy on the district too. Greg and Wendy are active in Lake View Park where Greg serves on the worship team, but also they work with the Bible Quiz team of Choctaw, OK since LVP doesn't have a quiz team.  Wendy serves as the quiz coach.

Geoff and Churie go to Canadian Hills Church in Yukon, OK where Churie is the Children's pastor.  They have just accepted a call to a new assignment.  Geoff will then be the youth pastor and Churie will be the children pastor.

Gary actively attends Lake Overholser Church in Bethany, OK.  One thing you cannot accuse our family of dominating and controlling a church.  Nancy and I have been attending a 4th church.  All of our sons attend churches within a 10 mile radius, or so, of our house.  We are just spreading the "Miller" salt around.

Travel Highlights:
Here are some photo's of the year.  This first photo was taken in Nampa Idaho.  Nancy did not go with me on this trip. I had wonderful Faith Promise at the College Church.   I met up with LaBaron's.  Sarah was an MK in PNG and they came with their 6 children.  We had a wonderful meals and some uncle time.


(This photo taken by Sarah LaBaron)

They have since moved to Oklahoma and don't live far away as they work at Bethany First Church.





Here are some I haven't seen in years.  Danielle, Christopher, and Joseph were young the last time I saw them.  We were with them in Poteau, Okla.  Their parents (not pictured here) were our best friends when we were all together in the Carnegie Church raising our young families. (Photo compliments of Martha Milligan)



Here was an exciting time this year when I was at the East Ohio District Boys and girls camp.  I'm right in my venue.

It was a wonderful time as I took turns eating meals with the different cabins so I could learn the kid's names.

I was able to share the stories.  What fun it was!
(This photo taken from someone on the E. Ohio district.)


Here I am at the Ottumwa, Iowa church in their Faith Promise as we went over the top.  The top candle is for $15,000 and I can't remember the total raised but it was over $20,000 as I recall.

(Photo sent to me from someone at the Ottumwa Church)


Being on the road this year, we have not visited as much as we would like with our extended family.  Some of our family live nearby.  My sister-in-law Sara lives a few blocks away.  We have a niece Christina and husband Bert who also lives a few blocks away.   Sara Jane and husband Brian live about 45 min away where Brian is the Chief of Police in his small town.


Nancy's mother celebrated her 90th birthday this year as we had a celebration for her in Owasso, OK.  Nancy has two living brothers Don and wife Linda in Mt Pleasant, TX, and Chris and wife Sonja in Skiatook, OK.

Don and Linda's:  It was great visiting with our niece Melodie and husband Ben and their three children in Omaha, Neb.  I was following my GPS, touring the Iowa district and as I approached this town I stopped at a rest stop and saw the map and I was near Omaha, Nebraska so I called Ben and Melodie and they attended the service on Sunday Morning.  After service I was planning on driving home but my niece Anne invited me to spend the night.  What great uncle can refuse such a request.  Had a great time.  Julie (the first born) and Phillip and their family live in Mt Pleasant.  Julie is a grandma by her step son.   Seth (last born) and his wife Fatima live in the same town with us.  I was able to give Fatima driving lessons and helped her get an Oklahoma drivers license.  Living overseas, I missed out on the driving school for our youngest sons.

Chris and Sonja's:  We were able to stay in Chris and Sonja's home on a couple of occasions.  I think Sonja has a neat job as she works as a translator for the hearing impaired or deaf children.  She's awesome in her use of sign language.  Their daughter Melissa and husband Adam live next door.  They have quite an assortment of pets (snakes, lizards, as well as the more normal pets Dog and cat).

On Facebook it has been fun reconnecting with friends from a long time ago as well as keeping in contact with current friends.  With Instant Messager it is easy and cheap to see their face and to talk with them live.  But it has also been neat seeing people again face-to-face, where I can give them a hug.  To see adults that were kids I had in children's church 28 or more years ago is wonderful.  One man and his wife I met in the Pacific NW who left Carnegie 40 years ago.   One lady who I found on FB maybe 5 years or so ago and now lives with her husband in Southern Calif, I met while there.

News from the Solomon's:
Dickson and Doris
At the Solomon Islands recent District Assembly in November, the General Superintendent appointed their first local District Superintendent, Rev. Dickson Manongi.  I am in the process of writing a bio about him and when ready I will post it too.

Photo of Rev. Dickson and wife Doris

At this District Assembly in November Dickson was ordained along with 4 others.  These were all my Bible College Students.  I've added their pictures below.  I'm not sure why they are a different size, but it certainly doesn't mean some are less important.

Dickson is the most instrumental in opening the work in the Solomon Islands.

Mairy

Of these ordinands Dickson and Mairy were the only ones who were members of the Church of the Nazarene when we arrived in the Solomon Islands in August 1999.

Mairy served in many capacities on the district.  She was on the District Advisory Board, the District Treasurer, District Women's ministry President, as well as Children's Sunday School Teacher.  I understand she is now the Bible College Principal.  She served as pastor in one of our churches in the Western Province.  She has also held training classes in Community Based Health Care (CBHC), Women's ministry, and served the Lord wherever needed.






Patricia
Patricia is pastor on LaVella LaVella island in the Western Province. She is a fireball preacher.  People accurately describe her messages as short and sharp.  The Holy Spirit really uses her to minister to people.  Normally after she preaches the response is dramatic with many coming to the altar for prayer.  Once after she preached her practical in the Bible college class, half of the Bible College Students come forward for prayer.

Patricia and Mairy are the first women ordained as Nazarene pastors in the Solomon Islands, in a country where there are only a few women who are ordained.

Revelation
Revelation came to our church many years ago now.  He was the member of another church but met our Jesus Film Team when our JFT went to his island and the communication was messed up and providentially the team met Revelation who put together some venues and organized a trip for them.  He traveled with the JFT for many years.  He was pastor of a church near his home.  Then after a church in the Western Province was planted by the JFT, Revelation went as the pastor.  Then he planted another church on his home island
Jeremy is the brother of the Jesus Film Team leader named Jimmy.  The first church planted through the JFT was in an area of Malaita named East Kwaio.  





Jeremy


Jeremy lived there and became the pastor.  This is a very remote area and it required two days travel for me to arrive, including an 6-8 hour hike.  This will make Jeremy the only Nazarene who is an ordained elder in the area.

Please keep the Solomon Islands in your prayer.  I know God is going to do mighty things there through the capable leadership of Bro. Dickson and his team.


Nancy and I have been active in the ARMM (Association of Retired Ministers and Missionaries).  They have a breakfast once a month and a weekly men's prayer breakfast.

I plan to write a post Christmas follow-up letter to this.



At the Right is pictured Hannah in her wedding dress.  She was like a daughter to us in the Solomon's.  She had her church wedding on December 3.  Her son Jolton is now 1 year old.

(Photo compliments of Hannah)

No comments:

Post a Comment