Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Letter 2013


Merry Christmas from the Miller's
WOW!!!  2013 is coming to an end.  Time just flies by, and I suppose it passes faster when one is having fun.  When you enjoy what you do you never have to work. I have been referred to as a work-a-holic, but we all no that ain't true.  I just have a passion to help people and encourage them spiritually; especially I just love to see people develop in their relationship with my best friend, Jesus.
I must confess there were 6 weeks this year when I would have rather been fishing with my grandkids.  Those were the weeks when I hurt my back and was laid up in bed for three weeks and convalescing for another three weeks.  What a bummer, but it was great as the youth pitched in and really helped.  By the way; I did have some wonderful fishing time with Grandkids this year.

Highlights from the Year:
·      Nancy is a stay at home wife as she resigned her job as Principal getting ready for our Home Assignment (HA).  She still has a few jobs to do such as Mission Treasurer, SPNTC Treasurer, House Keeper, Hostess, private tutor, Bible College Teacher, etc. [I added that etc. as I'm sure I left something out.]  She seems to always be busy; maybe taking care of her husband is more time consuming than I thought.  She is definitely the computer Guru of the house.
·      SPNTC – We held 6 Bible College courses this year.  We are using the electronic books (tablets) as we can put an entire library (6000+ books) on an SD card.  Thanks for those who have given financially to make this possible.  Also this year we had our first SPNTC – Solomon Campus graduate teach a course.
·      Home Assignment (HA)/Family Highlights:
o   We had a wonderful, deputation tour this time, beginning March 9th in Westminster, MD and ending June 12th at Camp Creek, Taloga, OK (The church where my brother was pastor at the time of his death).  We held 55 services in 44 different venues, down some from the past two HA.  We traveled from Smyrna, Delaware in the NE to Los Angeles in the SW, and to Everett, Washington in the NW.  We held 5 district tours in Upstate New York, North East Indiana, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and North West Districts (parts of Wash., Oregon, and Idaho).
o   We met a lot of wonderful people along the way as well as had reunions with "old friends", some we haven't seen in years. (We enjoyed seeing you.)
o   I had the privilege of Baptizing Granddaughter Felicity.
o   Spent some time with Sister-in-law Sara and relaxed at the farm.
Geoff's Van
o   Family time: We had some free time and our kids (Geoff's family & Wendy with her children, Greg was busy.) wanted to tour Washington, DC, Niagara Falls, etc.  We met up with the kids in Washington DC and spent time touring the capital, Smithsonian, and other interesting sites then rode together, in one vehicle, to Upstate NY.  How is that for excitement, 13 of us traveling together in Geoff's van?  We rented a house billed to sleep 16 people, but the owner over-rated that house for sure.  Fortunately we love each other and the close communion worked out. 
At the Vietnam Memorial with some of the family
o   General Assembly: We had a great time with family and friends at General Assembly of the Church of the Nazarene in Indianapolis, IN.  There was some family time at the assembly too.  In addition to family this year there were four Solomon Islanders who were able to attend.  Pastor Alick was the Mission Convention and General Assembly Delegate, Ezra and Rex were Youth convention (NYI) delegates, and Hannah was a visitor.  They really enjoyed their stay and Hannah enjoyed her brief tour with Nancy and I. 
Hannah's view of a wheat field      
Hannah's first feel of snow
What a huge tree!!!

I pass her greetings on to those in LA and NW districts, who met her.  She enjoyed visiting and meeting everyone.  The SI delegates were privileged to share in the Dallas District children's camp and they enjoyed it very much.
o   On our LA tour we were able to spend some quality time with my cousin Margy and her family.  It was awesome.  Also we attended the VanGundy Family Reunion in El Reno, OK.  The first time in a while but it was great seeing my cousins I haven't seen in a while. 

o   In Ohio we saw a cousin Andy and family that I last saw as a teenager. In fact the Nazarene Pastor nearby met this cousin and through that contact we had a service there so my cousin was able to attend.
Cousin Andrea (Andy) & daughter Teresa
Cousin Russell (Andy's son)





o   Took a tour with Greg, Wendy, and six of our Grandkids (and Hannah) to Wichita mountains and stopped at Meers. (An old Gold Mining town, they never found Gold there but that's another story.)  Enjoyed one of those Meers burgers made from Longhorn beef.
o   Spent some time at Scott and Gloria's enjoying their home near Dallas but it had a country feel with a fishing pond and everything.  We use their address in Nevada, TX; however I have never seen a road sign for the town of Nevada. (I think it must be an imaginary place.)
o   Enjoyed our time with Geoff, Churie, and Girls.  Helped Geoff install a zip-line in his back yard.  If only I was a few years younger, I would have enjoyed that one.  All the family got together for a fun time at Geoff and Churie's home. 

o   We got to visit mom in Owasso, along with Chris, Sonja and family. We only have one living parent, Nancy's mother, Virginia Sides.
o   We did not spend as much time with Gary as I would have liked. We did travel together to General Assembly and Father's Day we were off and accompanied him to his church.
Maecala & Cisco at El Charro
o   Spent a couple days in Carnegie, our home prior to the mission field and the church where our membership is.  Enjoyed visiting with our dear friends there.  We also make it a point whenever in Carnegie to visit with Maecala and the Salazars at the El Charro Restaurant.  We enjoyed that home cooked truly Mexican food.
Worship at Crossroads Tabernacle
Our niece and Family

o   Easter Sunday we went to Crossroads Tabernacle Church in Fort Worth, TX.  One of our nieces from children church days in Carnegie made contact with me through FaceBook shortly before our HA.  It was great spending time with this young lady's family on Saturday and then taking her to such at awesome church on Easter Sunday.  Her residence is just a few blocks from the church.
o   It is a joy seeing our four kids and our grandchildren in church serving the Lord.
o   Visited a lot of Blood Banks around the country with my (George's) diagnosis of Hemochromatosis and my need to make frequent donations.
A Testimony from Home Assignment: Those who know me realize that I am passionate about Jesus.  I get my highs from witnessing people commit their life to Christ and develop in a dynamic relationship to Jesus.  We are in the disciple making business.  The great commission of Jesus is to "Go and make disciples."  But as my dear friend Dr. Verne Ward, Mission Director of our church once said, "It is in our going that we make disciples."  I love to do that and if you agree you will enjoy the following story about my nephew Bert.
            Bert was married to Christina, my biological niece, but after my brother's death, he left her for another woman.  Even Bert's own family rejected him.  Christina told me that I was the only family member he kept as friend on Face Book.  I just prayed for him but never tried to "straighten him out" by posting things on social media.  He had left the second woman and was living with a third at the time of this home assignment.
            We had a couple tours in Indiana and he was now living in Fort Wayne with his girlfriend.  Imagine my surprise when I received the message that he would like to see us.  I invited him to dinner on Saturday at a Ft. Wayne restaurant.  He arrived with his friend and her son.  I really wanted to put the fear of the Lord, or at least the fear of Uncle George in him, but his girlfriend's presence mellowed the conversation.  I am one to kind of "cut to the chase", but I refrained myself, but did share with him a little.  The conversation was good but not heavy for sure but the entire time I was praying seeking opportunity to inject faith into our conversation.  Near the end of our time together, I remember telling Bert, "Jesus is the real deal."  I invited them to our service the following day at the Trinity Church of the Nazarene, Ft. Wayne.
            They came and even his girlfriend's aunt and uncle who were Nazarene, but members of another church came to hear me preach.  At the conclusion of the service, I was visiting Bert and remember him saying something like, "If I gave my life to God now, I can't get Christina and my daughter back, I've really messed up."  To which I replied, "You are right, you have really hurt her and I doubt you'll ever be able to get her back, but you need Jesus more than Christina.  Just follow Him and let Jesus straighten out and make sense of your mess."  He then left the service and we enjoyed lunch with the pastor and church family.  Pastor assured me of their prayers and that they would reach out to Bert and his friend.
            The very next Sunday, Bert phoned and I was overjoyed as I heard him say, "Uncle George, I recommitted my life to God, pray for me as I plan to call Christina and her mother and apologize for what I did to them.   
            Soon we were back in the Solomon's and I recently received a message from a pastor friend of mine, telling me that Bert and Christina, would like to get remarried and asked for my opinion.  Bert is really progressing in his faith and I hope they will soon get re-married.  A Miracle!! Pray for Bert and Christina.[1]
That is the joy in serving the Lord, seeing lives in a mess being transformed by this One who was born 2000+ years ago, was crucified, buried, resurrected, and still lives.  As we celebrate His birthday.  I want to say "Happy Birthday Jesus". Hallelujah!!!  Amen!!! 
      Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
    "Uncle" George and "Aunt" Nancy Miller
Honiara, Solomon Islands


[1] Thanks Bert for giving me permission to retell your story and your allowing me to use your real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment