Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Merry Christmas 2018 and Blessed New Year

Merry Christmas &
Blessed New Year
from: George Miller & Miller Clan

My Sweetheart's passing:
This year brought a major change in my life,
along with its challenges, but through it all I experienced divine peace, joy, comfort, and much love. I was able to keep my smile amidst the tears.  Life is not always easy but through the trials I knew God was there walking with me, or probably carrying me.

In January there was not much celebration in recognition of 47 years of life and ministry together. 

Dr Medipali, Nancy's renal doctor
The year began with many trips visiting doctors and we spent more days the first 3 months of the year in the Oklahoma Heart Hospital than we spent at home.  We were optimistic that Nancy was going to be healed or at least her condition would be stabilized.  While in the hospital I basically stayed by her side.  We had home health visits during the few weeks we were home.  She had 3 organs shut down [heart, lungs, and kidneys].  When the kidneys shut down her condition rapidly declined, passing away on March 30, Good Friday.

Before Nancy's passing she was able to talk with her family, telling each grandchild that Grandma would be leaving to be with Jesus and that she was sorry she wouldn't be there to watch them grow up. It was a special time as she talked with each one individually, with exception of Gary's stepdaughters who are with their biological father.

Dr. Sawheny, Nancy's Pulmonary Doctor
Sara went to Dialyses training so she could
assist me with home dialyses
Our daughter Gloria came up and stayed for 3 days or so, and that gave me time to go and get a couple good nights sleep. As I was getting ready to leave on Wednesday night to go to the house, I was standing at the foot of her bed rubbing her feet and telling her  I'd 
Decorated the Grave
 see her in the morning, and Nancy asked me, "George, who is that man standing behind you?"  There was no one there visible to Gloria or I.   I arrived back in the morning Gloria told me that mother asked her, "What all the people were doing around her bed last night?"  Gloria evidently slept through it and mother was coded on Tuesday and so Gloria enquired of the Nurse as to what they had to do with mother and they assured Gloria that mom slept well all night and there was no problem.  So on my return Thursday morning Gloria relayed this story to me, I held Nancy's hand and asked, "Momma did you have some visitors last night?"  She replied by nodding her head, yes.  I then asked who were they? What did they look like?  In her weakened condition she replied in a whisper, "There were 10 or 12, dressed in white, and I think they were all men."  I replied, "Momma, when they come again just go with them."  

Peritenial Dialyses Technician
Nancy, on an earlier admission to the hospital, signed a living will and in her directive she wanted every drastic measure possible to keep her alive.  Maybe as a result of these nighttime visitors she changed her mind and told Gloria and I that she now wanted the tubes, dialyses machine, and everything discontinued. Gloria went and relayed that to the nurse, and the reply was we have her living will on file so to change that we will have to get another one signed.  The nurse came in and asked, "Mrs. Miller, what do you want us to do?" Even though Nancy at this point was so weak she was unable to draw water from a straw, she told them that she wanted all the tubes, keeping her alive, to be removed.  The nurse filled out another living will and brought it for Nancy to sign, but unable to hold a pen, Nancy shook her head, NO. The nurse said who do you want to sign it and she pointed at me.  

All the family was there and, Nancy asked me, "George, did you take your medicine?" "Not yet" I replied as I continued typing on the computer.  Some minutes later, "George, your medicine." "I will sweetheart."  10 or 15 minutes later, "George" as she pointed at my medicine on the table. I took the medicine and then she spoke the last full sentence that I remember as she asked, "Will you be all right without me?"  

Hand made coffin that sons Geoff & Gary made
Our pastor Hardy Powers came to visit and we told stories reminiscing about Nancy and she asked, "Is this my funeral?" There is always something to chuckle about.  Geoffrey and his brother Gary made a casket for their mom (those in attendance at the funeral witnessed this beautiful expression of love from her sons).  It was a beautiful service in remembrance of such a beautiful woman of God and my helpmate. 

Our wedding photo
Nancy and my wedding photo
 Nancy and I stood side by side from the time we married on January 2nd, 1971.  There were financially tough times especially after our daughter was born in Dec the same year, and Nancy then became a stay-at-home mom, putting her education on hold.  She never complained as we skimped, saved, and frugally spent what little money we had.  Following graduation our family moved to Muskogee, OK where I worked for a short time in the laboratory at the VA Hospital.  It was here that we began working in the Caravan Program in our church and we joined the Gideon's International.  At 21 years old (Nancy 20) we were possibly the youngest members of the Gideon’s worldwide. After a short stint in Muskogee we followed the call of God to Carnegie, OK where we served together. I (George) working in the hospital, but wherever I was Nancy was close behind as a supporter. We were busy in the Church of the Nazarene, The Gideon's International, Caravan, children's church pastor, Victory Christian School, and Community Big One Drive.

I returned to the Philippines to attend the college graduation after Nancy's passing. It was an enjoyable experience and a time of healing.  Here are a few of my photos from the trip to the Phillippines.



































The day after I departed to the Philippines Sara's (my brother's wife) house burned down by wildfire in western Oklahoma.  It has been enjoyable having her stay here when she is in town.

After Nancy's passing I was kind of a recluse and did not like to get out much, except to church and I went there as often as I found a church door opened (which isn't as much as I would have liked).  I kept myself busy by working on some journals.  One journal is all of our love letters. It was neat reading these as I was reminded again why I chose Nancy to be my wife.  I'm also glad she chose me.  I am working on journals of memories. I have worked some on a quilt that was her 'dream quilt'.  I plan to get it sewed together somehow.  I would like to write a book, all help appreciated, of our life, lessons, and adventures.  What an adventurous life we enjoyed together.  Recently I started going out more. 

I spent time with family.  Wendy and Greg started a Monday night family time where Greg's family and I get together almost every week. Often Gary and Beth along with our Grandson Zach and his fiancĂ© Brookelyn come to this meeting.  Zach and Brookelyn were engaged at Thanksgiving are planning a March 2019 wedding. 


I have enjoyed the Grandkids visiting and even overnighting at my house. Also I have been attending a lot of their Bible Quiz competitions this year.  I have 8 grandkids competing (7 in the teen division and 1 in the Junior division). Five of the teens made it into the top 10 on their districts and I was able to go to Ferguson, MO to witness this quiz. 

Geoff and Churie and Family
Our son Geoffrey and Churie purchased a home on acreage outside of Woodward, where Geoff is youth pastor and Churie children's pastor. 

Baptizing foster daughter

Miller grandkids in their play. 
 I visited a few times. On one visit the grandkids [Geoffrey's and Greg's] were part of a play in town and another time Shawna, their foster daughter was baptized. Remember them in your prayers; they are facing some challenging situations.







Greg/Wendy and family
Greg is education supervisor at the Science Museum. They live in Spencer and Wendy is a homeschool mom and Bible Quiz coach.










Scott/Gloria and family

Gloria and Scott are still in Nevada, TX. Scott is busy with his medical practice and they are part of the Richardson church.  









Gary was baptized this year
Gary and Beth are living in Bethany. They've celebrated 1 year of married life.  Beth is a nurse at Integris and Gary works in maintenance at Southern Plaza, and is running for City Counsel with election the 12th February.



I have enjoyed visiting with extended family this year even though not often enough. Nancy's mother is still living and in relatively good health. I am the only survivor of my birth family.  I've had enjoyable visits with my nieces and nephews.  Sara and Wes have two girls Christina and Sara Jane; both married, Christina to Bert Wagner and Sara Jane to Brian Hau, combined they have 5 children; Luvena Wagner and Gage, Colton, Alexis, & Collin Hau. 

Nancy has two living brothers.  Don and Linda Sides have three married children, Julie and Phillip Jones, Melodie and Ben Booton, and Seth and Fatuma Sides.  Don and Linda have 6 grandchildren Rebecca & Abby Torres, Priscilla Jones, and Anne, Joseph, and Elijah Booton.  
Ben and Melodie's three children & a friend

Aaron, April, and Maysen Sides
Nancy's brother Chris and Sonja Sides, have three children. Melissa, married to Adam Brooks, Aaron to April with one child, a daughter Maysen.  Their third child Glenn is still single.  Aaron is in the army stationed in Houston. This year was the first time Uncle George saw Maysen.  I made up for it this year, seeing her 4 times.  


George with Jeanne, a great Christmas present
NOW FOR THE RECENT, EXCITING NEWS: I am dating a lady from church, Jeanne Martin, who lost her husband a year before Nancy passed. Our first date was December 7 and we definitely feel that God brought us together. The future is in the Lord's hands and we want most of all to be obedient to His sovereign will.






Christmas at the Miller's house:

Birthday cake for 4 yo (in black with hand
over mouth) Born on Christmas Eve.
Minute to win it game













More games













Christmas Blessings and wishing you a Happy and Prosperous New Year,
Love George

See a view other random photos below.

Homeschool Choir Concert
Homeschool Choir concert


Lori who I helped campaign with. It was fun even though she didn't win, but it was a great race 

David Sebastian (highschool buddy) and wife Shirley
Gordon Johnson, Highschool friend and one of my
groomsmen so for picture of him in his youth see our
wedding photo above.


This year in October celebrated 50th Highschool reunion.  

VBS closing at Woodward Church











No comments:

Post a Comment