Friday, April 10, 2009

God's appointment at Ohanas





God’s Appointment at Ohana’s

30 March 2009


Tonight I had an appointed arranged by God to meet a young lady at the Ohana’s Restaurant in Nadi, Fiji. Before I begin let me explain what this Solomon Island missionary is doing in Fiji, far away from his home on Guadalcanal. I attended the SPNTC (South Pacific Nazarene Theological College) board meeting held in Apia, Western Samoa. The plane arrived in Nadi early Sunday morning, but due to flight schedule to Honiara, I had a two day layover in Nadi. I stayed at the hotel and used the time to pray, read a couple of books, preparing for the upcoming meetings in Singapore, and just quiet meditation. No television, newspapers, and very little computer time to distract me.

Tonight I went to the hotel restaurant to have my dinner. I had my mind set on a Pizza, but when I got there all they had was the buffet. I like buffet’s and there is nothing wrong with them, but I tend to over eat, because I want to get my money’s worth, and I can certainly put the grub away. I had vowed not to eat at a buffet while in Nadi if I could help it. I remembered seeing a restaurant near the hotel and it seemed like I had a definite pull to go somewhere else to eat. I know now it was the Holy Spirit’s quiet nudging that was leading me.

I walked out and looked across the street and there was the restaurant, Ohana’s Restaurant, Bar and Grill. As I entered the restaurant, I saw there were no customers. I set down at a table, and then I realized I didn’t have much Fiji dollars left. At the hotel I put the cost of meals on my room tab to pay with credit card later. My waitress, the one I had an appointment with came by the table. She had a big friendly smile. I paused from the reading of my book, “Organic Church” long enough to order a burger, island style complete with egg, fries, and a coke. That was all I felt I could afford. My waitress, named Asenaca, came by and asked, “Would you care for a beer?” I replied, “No thanks, I have never tasted beer in my entire life.” She said, “Really! That’s interesting.”


That opened up a conversation with her about my best friend and the love for HIM that has kept me from drinking. I must have been in the restaurant for over an hour and during that time there was only one other couple that came in briefly. Asenaca kept coming to my table to visit and I was able to share with her, Asenaca, was a Christian but had backslidden. Now she was trying to get her life back together. Asenaca told me that she normally works in the bar upstairs except for Monday night she covers for another employee’s day off.

She was able to share with me about some of her spiritual struggles, and I talked with her about my best friend, Jesus. I promised to pray for her and I’d like many of my prayer partners to pray for this 22 year old Fijian lady named Asenaca Naisara, that she will fully commit her life to Jesus. I took her photo and asked her permission to use this story, as well as post her photo. When I said, I will not use your name, she said, “It’s OK, you can use my name.”

Asenaca and I both realized this was a God appointment. She needed someone to talk to and I enjoyed the opportunity to share with someone who was eager to listen and spiritually hungry. So I’m posting her photo so you can have a face as well as the name to pray for.

One of the things that Asenaca shared with me is that it is difficult for her to concentrate when she reads the Bible. Please pray as the enemy is trying to keep her from the Word.

Now it is the 10th of April and I still did not get this story out. I arrived home and was only there a couple days when I received word that brother passed away. So Geoffrey and I had to make an emergency trip back to the USA. We had a 24 hour layover in Fiji, and we stayed at the same hotel. You can imagine Asenaca’s surprise when she saw us again eating at the restaurant. I certainly did not plan to return so soon. We had a good visit with her about the Lord and I do want you to pray for her. She told us that she was leaving the restaurant to take up a job in a 5 star resort hotel.

We never know who the Lord will lead us to.

By George Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment